Lios-na-gCon (a.k.a. Lis-na-gun/Lisnagun) which translates as the Ringfort of the Hound is an excellent example of a restored ringfort close to Clonakilty. Ringforts were built and occupied between c.400 AD and c.1200 AD, in the Early Christian and Viking periods.
Like stone cashels and some lake land crannogs, they were the defended farmsteads of the native Irish Celts. These settlements were centres of mixed farming economy, and were largely self-sufficient in the production of tools, textiles, and household goods. About 35,000 ringfort sites are identifiable in the Irish landscape today.
Lios na GCon offers an excellent insight in to how the native Irish lived so long ago. www.liosnagcon.com.