Cork Public Museum is housed in a two storey Georgian house commanding a central position in Fitzgerald Park, Cork. Originally built in 1845 by the Beamish family, it eventually housed the Cork International Exhibition of 1902 and 1903. The site of the exhibition was opened as Public Park in 1906.
The collections of Cork Public Museum are as rich and diverse as the history of the city itself. The museum’s most expansive exhibit is the archaeological collection, which features some of the most important archaeological finds from this region. Classical archaeology is also represented in Cork Public Museum with a small but impressive collection of artifacts from ancient Egypt and Greece. The importance of Cork as a thriving medieval town is explored in an exhibition that contains objects excavated from recent digs around the medieval town wall. The Riverview Café, recently opened in the museum’s extension, fully exploits the commanding views of the river Lee and provides the visitor with a tranquil haven to enjoy a coffee and a snack.
Residing in the sumptuous grounds of Fitzgerald Park, the Cork Public Museum is situated in a beautiful scenic landscape just outside the centre of Cork City. This fabulous museum is a real treat, and the free entry means there is no excuse for not taking in all that the museum and park grounds have to offer.