Timoleague, which is located 5km west of Courtmacsherry is perched at the edge of a long sea inlet. This friendly tourist village is dominated by the ruins of a 13th century abbey. The abbey was founded by the Franciscan order in 1240 A.D., on the site of a 6th century monastic settlement founded by Saint Molaga. The name Timoleague comes from the Irish for House of Molaga (Tigh Molaga). The waterside location for this National Monument is most attractive. In its day it was one of the largest and most important of the religious houses in Ireland. Like all monasteries, it was suppressed during the Reformation but the monks stayed in the district and returned in 1604 to repair it and bring it back to life.
The village of Timoleague itself, with its many brightly coloured dwellings and businesses, is home to some fine restaurants and pubs. It is also ideally situated to take advantage of some of the many local outdoor activities including walking, sailing, surfing, golf and fishing to name but a few.
Picnic grounds and a children’s playground are laid out among palm trees and other exotic trees and shrubs around the ruined 13th century Ballymore Castle.